International Student Information


What better place to start your new adventure career?


Studying in New Zealand | Aotearoa

Adventure capital of THE WORLD 

New Zealand is the ultimate destination for adventure lovers. In a pristine natural environment of mountains, lakes and coast, you’ll find a dazzling array of pulse-quickening activities that are easily accessible and affordable.

Sir Edmund Hillary, perhaps New Zealand’s greatest adventure hero, was the first man to stand on the summit of Mt Everest. His adventurous spirit conquered the world’s harshest environment and profoundly influenced our national psyche.

Learn More


Studying in Dunedin | Ōtepoti

Student Capital of New Zealand 

Dunedin city is perfectly positioned to offer the best in nightlife as well as being an exciting adventure sport destination. Scuba Diving, Surfing and Mountain Biking are particularly suited to the coastal city’s environment, and being only hours away from some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the country - There is no better place to start your diving career.

Read moreView Video

Frequently asked questions?

Our Diploma in Professional Scuba Instruction is an approved programme for International Students and Dive Otago is an approved to provide this programme. 

How to Apply

  1. Request a prostpectus
  2. We will get in touch and make sure you have all the information you need
  3. Then you can apply online
  4. If you are accepted we will give you an "Offer of Place"
  5. You then apply for a Student Visa
  6. If your visa is approved you should then let us know!

What Visa's do i need?

You need to have a student visa to enrol on our Diploma in Professional Scuba Instruction Programme.

Immigration New Zealand:

For the best information on you eligiblility to get a Student Visa visit the Immigration New Zealand Website to find out information about type of visa or permit you need to apply to study here.


Approved education providers

To study in New Zealand on a Student Visa your programme of study must be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and be offered by an education provider that has been approved by NZQA or the Ministry of Education.
Academy of Diving Trust is registered as a Private Training Establishment by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and has approval to sub-contract to Dive Otago Limited. 
Academy of Diving Trust is accredited to provide education and training and has consent to assess unit standards on the Directory of Assessment Standards within the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) in a range of subject areas. 
Academy of Diving Trust is a signatory to the New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

What is the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students?

The Code sets standards for education providers to ensure that:

  • high professional standards are maintained
  • the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
  • information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date
  • students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
  • contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner
  • the particular needs of international students are recognised
  • international students are in safe accommodation
  • all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances.

You can download a copy of the Code below.

You can also download a summary, which provides an overview of the Code and of the complaints procedure.

The Code (PDF, 305 KB) 
Summary (PDF, 129 KB)

If you prefer, you can get a print copy of the Code from any education provider that enrols international students.

The Code and the summary are also available in these languages:

If you want to know more about the Code, email NZQA at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What rights do i have as an international Student in New Zealand?

As a student in New Zealand you have certain rights: 
  • NZQA requires all registered PTEs (that is us) to have policies and procedures for student withdrawals and refunds. You should have received this information from your PTE before you enrolled.
  • Registered PTEs must have adequate protection of student fees in the event of their insolvency, de-registration by NZQA and/or partial or complete loss of accreditation.
  • If you have any issues with your provider you can make an official complaint to NZQA.

Can my Wife/Partner or Children get a Visa?

If your partner or children want to come to New Zealand with you, they will need to apply for a visitor visa or if they will also be studying, their own student visa.

How do I find accommodation?

One of the first things you think about when you move to a new city or country is "where am I going to live?" In Dunedin you will have a wide range of options to choose from. Dunedin's 'student campus' environment offers safe, comfortable and affordable accommodation for all tertiary students. In the area around the university there are new houses, historic houses, apartments and hostels.

If that doesn't sound like you, there are plenty of other great places live. Do you want to live by the beach but still be within 10 minutes of town? No problem! There are heaps of different living options near our beaches and around the coast. Have a look at some of the websites below or if you want some help, we are more than happy to point you in the right direction.

What if i only have a Visitors permit?

If you are on a visitor’s permit, working permit or other visa the length of course you may enroll on varies. You will need to check your visa requirements on the Immigration New Zealand Website

If you have a Visitors Permit and would like to study with us, you may eligiable to study a course of 12 weeks or less including the following:

Career Courses:

(For these programme some online learning prior to the comencement date is required)

Short Courses:

If you are here on a visitor or work visa and you want to study part time for longer than three months, you can apply for a variation of conditions to your current visa.

Please Note: If you study a career course or short course on a visitors visa you are not covered under the Code of Pastoral Care of International Students. We will still however treat you like any other student and you will still have rights under the New Zealand Consumer Law.

Useful Links

Living in New Zealand

Student Checklist

New Zealand Ministry of Education Website

More Resources

  • Study-Dunedin

    Study in the Student Capital of New Zealand!

    This city is set up for students. With a large proportion of the population under 25, Dunedin offers everything a student needs and its natural features include everything an adventurous student wants.

    Read More

  • pages 0000s 0000s 0002 Map icons-02 copy 2

    Dunedin Dive Sites offer a huge variety for all experience levels

    Explore our interactive map of the area, download info sheets and advice about diving in and around Otago.

    Explore Now

  • Graduate-Stories

    Chris Garroway - Dive Instructor

    "I've dived with Manta Rays nearly every day for the past 2 and a half years. In over 1200 dives I've seen Tiger Sharks, Hammerheads, hundreds of turtles...."

    Read More

  • Compare-Courses

    Compare our Courses

    Choosing the right course is an important consideration. Please think carefully about where you want to go with your diving career and the best path to get you there.

    Read More

  • pages 0000s 0000s 0017 20130319 DiveOtago 0033

    Dive Otago

    Dive Otago is a Dive Centre in Dunedin, New Zealand. Find out more about what we do and who we are. 

    Learn More